09 Nov Tinsley Mill
Throughout the years, the mill had been called Ware’s Mill, Greer’s Mill, Russell’s Mill, Leech’s Mill and Tinsley’s Mill. In the 1870 census, it was known as Leach’s Mill, ground corn only and was owned by E. W. Leach. The mill was in what is now Peachtree City and near what today is the 12th green of the Flat Creek Golf Course. The mill was powered by Flat Creek, had a horsepower of 40 and could grind 40 bushels daily. It employed one person with wages of $200.00 per year. The mill was originally built by George Ware. He also owned a woolen mill across the creek that produced socks. There was also a cotton gin and a government licensed distillery that produced peach brandy. In 1910 Mr. Leach sold the mill to the Russel Brothers, Charles, Frank, Will and Bo. They rebuilt the mill which had been allowed to rundown, “Doc” Tinsley bought the mill in 1936. The dam washed out later in 1936 and the mill was operated by gasoline powered motors until 1960 when Tinsley sold the property to Phillips-Harrington Land Company. The mill later burned down.
Adapted from an article by Sandra Grist Woods
Source: The Fayette County Georgia Heritage Book