04 Jan Flat Creek Baptist Church
August 31, 1826
Flat Creek Baptist Church
Flat Creek Baptist Church was constituted on August 31, 1826. It was established as a mission church of Whitewater Baptist Church, and early on, was called “The Church of Christ at Flat Creek.”
Its first building, a log structure, was erected in 1827 near what is now Sumner Road in today’s Peachtree City. The first Deacon Ordination was in 1838. A great revival in 1866 added 137 members. A new building was constructed in 1876, with help from Mt. Ebal Masonic Lodge, which met in the church. Sunday School began in 1891.
In 1910, the congregation moved to its present location on what is now Flat Creek Trail in Fayetteville and built a wooden sanctuary. The church emphasized missions throughout the 1920s through its Woman’s Missionary Society, Young Woman’s Auxiliary, Royal Ambassadors for boys, and support of the national campaign to advance missions worldwide. The church today maintains its mission’s emphasis and focus on children, youth, and families.
“Full time” (every Sunday) service began in 1955, and a new sanctuary was dedicated in 1957. Flat Creek held services and events throughout 1976 in recognition of its 150th Anniversary.
The church experienced exponential growth through the remainder of the 20th century with progressive increases in membership and building programs for a large modern worship center, educational space, and a children’s facility.
Flat Creek Baptist Church looks forward to its 200th anniversary in 2026 and continued ministry to the community and beyond.
By Janis Hooper
Source: Flat Creek Baptist Church records