04 Jan Morgan Mill
Morgan Mill was built before 1880. The 1880 Census list shows Loranzo Morgan with a mill on Whitewater Creek with 8 HP waterwheel. In the 1883 Georgia State Gazetteer the following mill was listed in the Brooks Station community: Walter T. Morgan; owner. Morgan mill was powered by Whitewater Creek just below where Haddock Creek joins. This is near the former brickyard and community of Chestlehurst. This mill could ground corn finer than at Starr’s Mill but was not built to ground wheat. The miller swapped corn mill for flour with the miller a Starr’s Mill. The one-story building was set up to ground only corn. Aubrey Elmo Jones was the miller in the 1930s During dry weather Starr’s Mill would have water in the daytime and as it trickled down to the mill pond, the miller could operate Morgan’s Mill at night. The site also had a syrup mill outside the grist mill. The mill stopped running in the 1940s and the building rotted down. All that remains are two large concrete pillows. William Barney “Dock” Tinsley of Senoia bought the mill from the Morgan family.
Adapted from an article in The Fayette County Georgia Heritage Book by Sandra Grist Woods