04 Jan Union Grove School
Union Grove School
Union Grove School was located near the southwest corner of what is currently Tyrone Road and Flat Creek Trail, on land that was donated by Thomas Jefferson Askew. Mrs. Tommie Lee Edmondson Askew and Mrs. Maynard Griggs Brown, were the school’s two teachers in the twenties and thirties. Younger students were taught by “Miss Maynard” in “the little room,” and older students were under the tutelage of “Miss Tommie” in “the big room.” The school operated under a board of trustees and although no records indicate when it actually opened, family histories confirm that it was open by the early years of the twentieth century and remained so until the mid- to late 1930s. As Flat Creek Baptist Church prepared to move from the Kedron area to its current location in 1910, Sunday School was held in the Union Grove School building. The school became known as “Flat Creek School,” as most students were from the Flat Creek community, although some walked from as far as farms located off Ebenezer Road.
Submitted by Janis Hooper
The Fayette County Georgia Heritage Book, Based on article by Mary Ann Askew Bunn
Flat Creek Baptist Church Archives